Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chocolate, revisited


I thought there wasn’t any more kick ass way to read Chocolat than inside a chocolate shop with my mocha. Wrong-o.

While checking out Joanne Harris’s website* (I really am a dork) I came across a cookbook of hers, that just so happens to have a recipe for “Vianne’s Hot Chocolate.” (Vianne is the main character in the novel). It involves chili pepper to give it a special zing, just like the ancient Mayans priests would drink it. I’m really not sure if the chili also enhances the aphrodisiac quality, like the film implies, but after drinking mine… well, you’ll have to see for your self.


Here’s the kick ass recipe with my modifications. I recommend drinking this with friends while watching the movie, on a cold day like I did.


Vianne's Spiced Hot Chocolate (Serves 2)

Place the milk in a saucepan; add the vanilla bean (for more flavor press out the seeds with the back of a knife blade before dropping both seeds and pod into milk. A beautiful French cook taught me this trick), cinnamon stick, and chile, and gently bring it to a shivering simmer for 1 minute. Grate the chocolate and whisk it in until it melts. If you must, then add brown sugar, but do try without it. Take off the heat and allow it to infuse for 10 minutes, then remove the vanilla, cinnamon, and chile (obviously not if it’s powder). Return to the heat and bring gently back to a simmer. Serve in mugs topped with whipped cream, chocolate curls, or a dash of cognac or Amaretto.


*http://www.joanne-harris.co.uk/v3site/books/frenchkitchen/index.html

v       1 2/3 cups milk
v       1/2 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
v       1/2 cinnamon stick
v       1 hot red chile, halved and seeded (or 1/8 tsp chili powder. Add more if desired after tasting).
v       3 1/2 ounces bittersweet (70 percent) chocolate (I used Dove, but I’m a big supporter of Lindt. The point is, the quality really matters).
v       Brown sugar to taste (optional)
v       (I added an eetsy pinch of sea salt)
v       Whipped cream, chocolate curls, cognac, or Amaretto, to serve

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that this recipe 'belongs' to a fictional character in a novel. It's sort of like a crossing over between the real and the fictional, like the hot chocolate of her literary world can be made tangible and incorporated into reality. It sort of reminds me of the Harry Potter paraphernalia that is sold in our world, too. Like Bertie Bots Every Flavored Beans and chocolate frogs and stuff. It's like a marketing technique, when you drink Vianne's hot chocolate, you feel like you're part of her world, or that she's part of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think of that - nice comment!

    ReplyDelete